Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Classmate Confessions

So you know what I LOVE about being Ella? The "confessions" I get from my classmates. Which of course I would never reveal... in any obvious way. Except those snoozing classmates below, their snooze-secrets are out. Lol.

Anyway, back to the post. I can't tell you how many classmates will let it slip that they've read my blog. Casually, I think, to see if I'll freak out that my "cover" is blown. Lol. When I don't freak out, then they will say something to the effect of "It makes me feel so normal to know you feel the same way I do" or "I had to take the MCAT 3 times too. But PLEASE don't tell anyone." or "I too, begged the Dean to let me in" or admission stories more convoluted than mine. I also love it when they confess that they are 100% positive that they are the worst student in class. It reassures me that throwing out my failures for all to see actually helps in some way.

I guess my overall point is that if everyone stopped putting up such a facade of false security and the premise of stellar academic success.... everybody wouldn't feel so bad. I mean, of course there is a decent percentage of my class that is straight awesome. Awesome MCATS, awesome shelf exams, always top of the class. But even they, have academic bloopers and insecurities. And of course there is an even larger percentage of students that are not straight academically awesome. Some of them failed pre-med classes, some bombed the MCAT, some couldn't get in to med school forever, some failed once they got to med school. I think if everyone admitted their bloopers a little more freely, the world would be a better place. Just sayin'.

Plus, life is so much easier when everyone assumes you're an idiot, then you surprise them by occasionally saying something smart. It's way worse the other way around.


No comments:

Post a Comment