Thursday, May 8, 2008

Travel Nurse Aim Goes to Boys Camp

Eons ago (before husband, kids, career, etc.) I found a summer job teaching horseback riding at a boys camp in North Carolina. The pay wasn't great but the view from the top of the mountain was breathtaking and I couldn't pass up the chance to spend hours every day riding around the mountainside on horesback. I even helped birth a colt while I was there. Even though I was only 19 years old I often wondered "how cool would it be to one day bring my kids to this camp."

Several weeks ago we went on vacation to North Carolina and I visited the camp. Not much had changed. The lodges and stables were still as I'd remembered them and the lake still had the same diving boards and docks. Even though the camp wasn't open I decided to knock on the office door. To my surprise, the lady who answered the door was the same person who ran the camp 17 years ago.

While catching up on each other's lives, I told her I had become a nurse. She said they were looking for a nurse to fill one of the weeks of boys camp. I told her I would love to send my boys to the camp but didn't want to afford the $1,000.00 per week tuition for each of them. We decided to trade my nursing skills for tuition and now, as the title to this post indicates, I am going back to boys camp. Only this time I will be armed with Ritalin and Hypodermic needles. Look out boys! Nurse Ratched's coming to camp.

Just kidding. This should be a lot of fun and I don't need an agency for this type of travel nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment