Monday, December 13, 2010

No.


Get a load of this.
Health campaigners have responded angrily to a suggestion from an NHS boss that staff could “donate” a portion of their annual leave as part of an effort to save £30m.  In a staff bulletin, Epsom and St Helier Trust chief executive Samantha Jones said that employees could play an important role in helping to save the money in the current financial year.
She wrote: “A number of you have said that you would be willing to sacrifice some of your annual leave allowance and come to work instead.“It might seem obvious, but each and every single day off in the organisation costs the Trust money. This is particularly true if a member of bank or agency staff has to be hired to cover for your post.
“I fully support this idea, and in fact I have decided to work on one of my annual leave days. If everybody agreed to work just one annual leave day, it would make a significant contribution in helping to achieve our goal.” Ms Jones explained that in many NHS trusts, staff were agreeing to reduce their contracted hours between now and the end of the financial year, in return for an appropriate reduction in pay


Militant medical nurse says no.  The last shift I worked was 12 hours long.  They deducted an hours worth of pay for a break that I could not take without risking patient safety.  Then I had to stay over another 2 hours unpaid to complete all the paperwork.  It's a legality.  But if I tried to do it during my shifts patients and visitors would accuse me of neglecting patients.  So I waited until I handed over to the night nurse and then I completed it.
 
Nurse's already work a lot of unpaid hours.  Even when we stay over late unpaid we still cannot accomplish everything.  On most days I hand over a list of patient needs that I never got to sort out to the next Nurse.  Chances are that she won't be able to do any better. Same with the next shift. And before you know it a patient waits three days before that sore they asked someone to look at is actually seen.
 
Last weekend I was asked to work an 8 hour shift because they only had one RN on the ward.  I felt bad for her.  I felt bad for the patients. So I went in.  It ended up being 10 hours with no break. And I WILL NOT be getting paid for any of that. I am supposed to take the time back as "time owing".  This is something I will not be able to do because the ward is short staffed and busy.  I will never get paid for those hours or get them back.   My childminder is getting paid for watching the kids for me during those hours! 
 
Never again will I pull an extra shift.
 
  No they are not getting anymore out of me. They need to find other ways of saving money.  

I like this suggestion from one of the commentators on the article:

If I was paid a decent wage for the work I do and was paid overtime for all the time I stay late then I might agree that it was a possibility. However I am not, so ask the CEO or your countless operations managers or a modern matron or 2 or 3 if they can help you out



Abso-fucking-lutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment