Friday, January 5, 2007

Travel Nurse: Grand Rounds 3.14

When my husband convinced me to start blogging about my travel nurse experiences he gave me a few words of advice that I didn't quite believe at first. He said that blogging is not like running a website where a person visits a site, buys something or downloads information and then leaves with no real attachment. He said bloggers, real bloggers, establish a connection (be it intellectual, emotional, psychological, etc.) with their readers. It made me wonder whether I was ready to take the leap from becoming a blog reader to a blog writer. You see, as solely a blog reader I was someone who could take shots at blogs I didn't like, enjoy the ones I did and not open myself up to criticism about my writing. As a blog writer...well, things are different. Suffice it to say that I'm not quite as critical of other blogs as I used to be.

My husband also said that bloggers have their own community pecking orders complete with Wise Grandparent, Sarcastic Uncle, Alcoholic Best Friend, Court Jester and Wet-Behind-the-Ears Newbie. Two guesses on where this blog falls into those categories (hint: Newbie).

Grand Rounds 3.14
One of the blogs that definitely falls in the medical blog heirarchy under Wise Grandparent is Blogborygmi written by Nick Genes. Nick has recently posted his self described "collection of the best posts in medical blogging" known as Grand Rounds 3.14. Nick's latest edition of Grand Rounds reminds me a little of Einstein's publication of the Theory of Relativity. No, the post doesn't provide any monumental breakthrough in science...but hear me out.

It is my understanding that when Einstein published his Theory of Relativity, he did so first as a footnote to a larger thesis he had been working on. When the scientific community pored over his thesis they found the obscure footnote and began to question him on it. From an obscure little footnote came one of the most important incites of our time.

On a smaller scale, Nick provides an incite into the medical blog community that may get lost in the pomp and circumstance of his Grand Rounds awards. He says that "Bloggers talk to each other enough, reading and commenting on posts so frequently, that when one of them disappears, it feels like we're losing a friend." This may be the most important statement in his entire post. For those of you who only read blogs, it is up to you to find the incite in his statement. I hate to end this post so abruptly, but it is late and I start my new travel nurse assignment tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment