Friday, April 17, 2009

Colds suck & Homemade Soup

I have a cold.. last night had a fever. Today had a fever for a few hours, took Tylenol and feel better now. I decided to make homemade soup. My mom made homemade turkey soup with leftover turkey and veggies and rice. It was really good, but we ate it all. I decided to make another one with what I had.















SOUP


I bought 3 red peppers and an orange one and figured I should use them up before they go bad. I looked up a recipe for roasted red pepper soup and combined 2 recipes in one. It took me 2 hours! BUT it is so GOOD! I mean kick-ass yummy good! I am holding out to eat it for supper, but seriously could have had it now!

Ingredients:
4 Red peppers, roasted and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium potatoes, diced and boiled
4 cups (28 ounces) chicken broth
1 tsp cayenne pepper or ground chili (more or less to taste)
2 Tbs Vegetable Oil

Roasted Peppers:
brush each pepper with veggie oil (not olive oil, it burns and smokes a lot)
place on silver tray on highest level oven rack
Oven should be at 450 F
Skin will bubble on peppers, turn them over with tongs and let skin bubble
takes about 30 min to do
Remove from over and place in bowl.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap to keep steam in, this will make it easier for skin to peel off.
Let cool for about 20 min.
Remove skin and remove seeds and membranes

Soup:
In a pot,
Add veggie and minced garlic and onions until softened
Add peppers and heat through
Add 4 cups chicken broth
Add Chili or Cayenne
Bring to a boil and let simmer 20-30 minutes

Add soup to blender in batches along with potatoes. Use a sieve to strain it after each batch and return to a pot and bring to a boil.
It took me 3-4 times through a blender to get it smooth.

You can add a dollop of sour cream to it as well when you serve it.

** potatoes can be replaced with 1/2 cup heavy cream
I used potatoes to thicken it as me and cream do not get along anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment