Saturday, June 12, 2010

Weekend Admissions and DEATH



Shit pic because it's American but I love the slogan.

I would just like to add a thing or two to this daily mail article.

The true story here is the fact that the hospital does not want to PAY for any kind of staff (especially senior staff) to work out of hours.  They just don't want to pay for it.

Many senior nurses (and myself) have REQUESTED REPEATEDLY to work nights, holidays, and weekends as it fits around our husbands 9-5 weekday jobs. 

During the week when my spouse is working it is impossible to get nurseries that fit in with a nurse's random ungodly shift hours.

  I would save hundreds and hundreds of pounds a month and a lot of stress for myself if they would allow me to work all weekends and nights.

I want the  weekend shifts and the weekend and holiday nights.

 .

They will not allow me to do all nights at the weekends and weekends generally because I am senior staff.  At least I get some.  If I was a SISTER I would be banned from doing any of them. But no fear of that since they are refusing to promote anyone due to costs.

I only get them once in awhile.  The Ward sisters and other staff nurses who are senior to me are banned from working nights, weekends and holidays.

I would imagine it is the same with the medics.  Maybe some medics out there can enlighten me.

Don't any of you believe that this situation exists because staff do not want to work unsocial hours.  Far from it.  I would only want to work weekday social hours  if I could work 9-5 which is impossible as an acute care Nurse.

Nurses are middle aged women with kids.  Most of them are in my shoes, rather than wanting to go out and play on a Friday night.

I'd also like to add that I am pretty damn annoyed that the DM is focusing on medics and not discussing how a lack of senior experienced nurses at ward level harms patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment