Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reasons Why You SHOULD NEVER Look at SDN

Yes, folks, these are real. Copied verbatim (except the purple.. that's me :). Sad to Say.

HELP!
I went to a community college and then transferred to ucsd. I've got straight a's in all my classes except my 1st semester at the community college was a c in calculus b in chem c in bio and b in English. my mcat score is 34. what are my chances for ucla medical school as well a's other uc med schools?


Am I worried for no reason?????
Stats:
GPA is around 3.85
sGPA is around 3.85
MCAT score was a 36Q
2 Summers of Hospital Volunteering (200+ hours)
2 Semesters as a writer for school paper
2 Semesters working as a team manager
Working at a Pharmacy for 2 summers (unpaid, 75+ hours)
Other EC --> Cultural Club and Intramural sports
-I had no research experience until this year but I currently am doing research and I also have a sports medicine internship (8 hours per week)
-I applied to like 20 schools
-I got 5 interviews so far (Rochester, Penn State, Buffalo, SUNY up and downstate) but I was already rejected from Buffalo and my other interviews are coming up..
-Also I shadowed two doctors in August, one for around 40+ hours and another for around 10, I'll be working with the former again this winter break...


Suggestions????
I am a Florida resident, 3.86 cumulative, 3.83 science & math, 31Q MCAT, majoring in Applied Economics and Biochemistry. I have 2 years of patient volunteering, 1 month of shadowing a rad onc, 2 science research projects, 1 economics research project on price discrimination in the health care system, and lots of leadership (SGA senate 2 terms and world affairs program), and I have worked as a chemistry tutor for 1.5 years. I have 6 letters of rec, 3 from the professors I did research with and took classes with, 1 from the volunteer coordinator of local hospice, and 1 from rad onc shadowed, I know them all pretty personally.

I submitted my secondary to UF on 10/4 and have yet to hear anything. If offered an interview should I provide an update at the interview or after the interview? I am starting a new volunteer experience (tutoring mentally disabled adults and teens for GED), a new research project, and will be submitting 2 papers for publication in the coming months as 1st author. Any general suggestions? THANKS!

PLEASE HELP!!! 3.34 GPA and 39 MCAT!!!

Please help me out here, what do y'all think my chances are? I'm pretty nervous because of my low GPA. Below is a concise 'resume'...if you need more info just ask
I am a junior at Duke, so my science GPA is my projected GPA for the end of this semester, presumed that I keep the same grades I have now.
science GPA: 3.34 (Overall: 3.41), with an intended Major in Biomedical Engineering and an already completed Minor in Biology at Duke University. I really screwed up freshman year, but got a 3.4 fall semester sophomore year and have been trending upwards in GPA.
-MCAT: 39, taken only once
Extracurriculars: Leadership positions in 2 major school clubs (1 club sport), worked 7000+ hours
(WTF???? 7000 HOURS???) in 2 labs (1 clinical, 1 biochemistry) since high school, published as author on 3 journal articles ( 1 in Nature). 200+ hours clinical volunteering, shadowed 2 physicians for 120+ hours. My summers were spent working full time in labs, volunteering and shadowing.
Michigan resident, Asian background
I have a feeling my GPA will come back to haunt me.

PLEASE LET YOUR HONEST OPINION GUIDE ME!!!!
I started to think about going to medical school in my senior year of college (one year to go, its a five year program). due to an event I experienced.
I jUST WANT TO KNOW my chances through this forum, recommended by many pre-med students I know

my info:
Syracuse University
Major: bioengineering, and Physics
minor : Linguistics
GPA: 3.2, I believe I can pull it up through my electives to 3.4
Science GPA 3.6
I took Kaplan MCAT (free event, it was like a real test scenario but without the writing section). I scored a 35.
Academia awards
Dean list
Honor List
chancellor award (two year consecutively), the highest award you can get in my university
Experience
worked in factory (part time)
Independent study in Darfur, planning to go back again at the end of this summer
Research Assistant
president of Society of Public Health education
President of Syracuse Breakdance Club
public relation of Biomedical engineer society
United Nation Ambassador of good will
Volunteers
Say Yes Education
Amaus Drive
taught refugee kids after school
and many others non related to medical fields
non academic Award
won the redbull Street futbol (as a team) in Germany 2008
competed in the preliminary of Redbull bc one
Langauges
English
Nubian
Portuguese
Arabic
Dutch
(taking spanish courses as of now)
I shadowed a doctor recently (for a week) to see if I really want to be a doctor or not
****I know that I don't any type of clinical experience, research and hospital volunteering.
but I should start to hospital volunteer by next semester, and Hopefully researching.
Please let me know what you think!!!!

SIGH. Lets just all set ourselves on fire. Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment