I've recently had major dental work done, scaling & root planing and a root canal. I'm under the care of a periodontist who recommends regeneration surgery at a cost of almost $6,000! On top of this, my dentist says I need two crowns with my portion after insurance at over $1,000. I've already forked over a hefty chunk for the previous work and don't think I can afford the surgery at this point and probably the crowns too. Do you think it's ok to put off the surgery and get the crowns done first or do the surgery first and wait on the crowns? My periodontist said that if I elect not to have the surgery now, I should come in for 3 month cleanings, which I am sure is a lot more financially managable. Also, anyone ever gone abroad and had dental work done? I may be out of the country for 3 months or more and I know it is much less expensive where I'll be going than here. Prices here are outrageous and I don't live in a high cost of living area either!!!
--------------------
I can't diagnose via modem, so I don't know what kind of surgery you might need. I agree that a 3 month recall interval will go a long way towards minimizing future damage. When a patient just can't proceed with $urgery, this is what we do. By that, I mean, this is what we do about 70-80% of the time. The 3 month interval is supported in the literature. Here's the rub, though. If you get crowns done now and then get the surgery later, it is very likely that the edges of the crowns (where they meet your natural tooth) will be exposed. If these are cosmetically strategic teeth, you will be rather upset about this result. If the teeth do not have root canal treatment, the newly exposed root surface could be very sensitive to temperature changes. It's not clear to me if the teeth that will be crowned are also the ones needing root canal. I would guess they are, but it's just not clear from your message. If they have both had root canal before you get the crowns, they would not be sensitive, but the appearance might become an issue. Also, if you have the crowns done first and then have the surgery done, the gum will heal in a different position as a result of your surgery. The crowns with their "high water line" might tend to trap more food between the edges of the crown and the top of the gums. As far as getting the care outside of the USA, I am sure you can find excellent dentists anywhere in the world. The only thing is, will YOU be able to find the best dentist available during your 3-month stay? You'd need to find a dentist almost right away if you are going to allow time for the treatment to take place. If you have problems, are you going to go back to the dentist who would "make good" on his treatment or are you ready to pay a new fee in the States to get things corrected? Just some thoughts to help you decide...
Source
No comments:
Post a Comment