Saturday, May 14, 2011

How long before a credit card company sues?

I have a Care Credit card for when I had dental work done. At the time it was $300, but small payments. I had low hours a week and couldn't even afford to pay the $15 a month, I let it pile up and now I owe $45 right now. It maybe rather small compared to a lot of peoples bigger bills but I'm just worried about them bothering to sue or do something against me. Now I have no work at all. Because I couldn't afford the bill also my total bill is about $400. Would GE Money bother to sue or what? Would they send a letter or just keep calling? Please help!
--------------------
Credit card companies don't sue for being 2-3 months past due...After 5 -6 months of non payment they will write off the debt and after that point they will either sell the debt to a collection agency or take you to court. Not all creditors sue...it's impossible to predict how any one creditor will respond. This is a tiny amount of debt. Don't wreck your credit rating over $400. Do whatever you possibly can to prevent this card from being charged-off....This will happen after 5-6 months of non payment. A charge off is a disaster for your credit rating and when it happens there is no undoing the damage. It will stay on your credit report for 7 long years and the damage cannot be undone by later paying the debt back after it's been charged off. Sell valuables like jewelry...hold a yard sale...I would even suggest temporary using a food bank for 2 months...anything it takes to prevent majorly damaging your credit rating over such a small amount of money.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment