Monday, May 16, 2011

I have been incorrectly injected in the skin with hypochlorite by dentist - now have skin paralysis/burns?

8 days ago I went to a dentist to have a previously treated root canal tooth filled. The dentist was to wash the tooth out with a solution called hypochlorite (bascially neat bleach). The dentist stuck the needle through the root of my tooth and injected a whole syringe into my gum. This immediately caused immense pain and burning and my whole left side of my face swelled up. The dentist called in her superiors and ran about very worried and I was eventually told to go straight to the A&E department. I had to drive myself (1 hour later) there in all this pain and was admitted with chemical burns and put on various drips steriods/antibiotics and kept in for the week. My hearing and sight on the left side has been affected. I have a hole in the inside of my mouth which is black and dead which will probably require skin grafts. I have bone damage in my jaw, the skin tissue and muscle feels frozen swollen and cold and painful but has not changed since the initial injury. I have looked up what I can on the net and there does not seem much on this. What is there states permanent damage and paralysis. I can't feel my teeth bite together, cant feel floss, I have numbness from under my nose to my ear and down to my chin across to the right side of my chin. Has anyone else suffered this. The dentist has admitted liability and I have the paperwork to confirm. I have to see the maxillo facial surgeon weekly to access ongoing damage. They do not know that much about it as they are currently compiling a report on behalf of the government to be distributed to dentists etc. So right now I am 39 and in a bad state through no fault of my own, I do not know the long term prognosis and neither do the doctors apparently. I would like to know so I can plan my future and try and stop this happening to another sad person who pays these people vast amounts of money because they were supposed to be in the know and they can do this. I am suppose to now find another dentist which is not easy on the NHS and repay for the same treatment to stop germs from going straight through my tooth to the infected area when I have already paid in full. I want to know where I can find my long term prognosis? I want to know how I can stop this happening to others? I want to know how I would go about taking them to court as this is no fault of mine and I will have long term pain and paralysis and ongoing operations etc? I would appreciate any information anyone in the dental field could give me or anyone who may have suffered the same and if they get any better. I have 4 small kids to look after and a husband who works away alot and I want to try and get through this. I know that lots of people suffer worse and am sorry if I am complaining a lot. Thanks and take care
--------------------
I have never seen or heard of this happening?! I can tell you it IS routine to irrigate the canals with sodium hypochlorite(bleach-some dillute it with water, others use it full strength) during a root canal. I am stumped and am trying to do some research for you to see if I can find any sort of an answer for you. It seems like you may have a good malpractice suit. If it were me, I might go around to or call some endodontists(these are root canal specialists) to see if they may be able to offer you some advice. I might even consult an attorney for legal advice. Best of luck to you my dear... (Dental Assistant, 9 yrs experience.)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment