I'll have taken off about 1.5 years between the end of high school and the start of college, not because I did poorly in HS but rather because I couldn't financially afford to begin college immediately after I graduated. To say that that whole experience was devastating for me would be an understatement, but in any case I've tried to look past it as best as I can and I am taking the appropriate steps to become accustomed to school again. Basically my plan is as follows, and if anybody has any input that would be great as well: My JC has a pretty excellent honors program, which I plan on pursuing and to which I know I'll be admitted since my high school stats are great. I intend on enrolling at my JC in January part time (2-3 classes) and starting next Fall I'll enroll full time from then on until I get my AA and transfer. Hopefully the completion of that honors program with a good GPA will secure me some decent merit based scholarships to whichever school I transfer to. I figure that it'll take me anywhere from 2.5-3 years to finish at the JC level and another 2 years to round out my BA. My goal has always been to finish school altogether (or at least take care of the undergrad stuff) by the time I'm 25 (I'm 19 now), but if you think that that's unrealistic at all I'd love to know why. I very well might test the waters with the pre-med/pre-dental stuff, and if any of that sticks (which is questionable since courses like chemistry flew over my head in HS but I'll still see what happens) I could possibly take everything to the next step in grad school studies. But my question is this: Am I forever barred from pursuing ANY post-undergrad degrees (whether they be MD, DO, PHD, MFA, etc.) because I will have attended a JC? Will I never be able to make an annual salary of $100k+ because I will have gone to a JC? Basically, am I FUNDAMENTALLY LESSER of a person because I will have had to have attended a JC?
--------------------
Sounds pretty solid to me so long as you keep going and I have 22 years JC teaching experience. As to your other questions, not everyone can get scholarships right out of high school and many people don't have the funds to attend right away. Employers/grad schools etc. know this. It is not really any sort of detriment to come from a "not so well to do" background. It's what you do once you're in college (grades, work ethic, etc.) that really matters.
Source
No comments:
Post a Comment