Monday, May 23, 2011

My first job interview, what do I wear and how do I go around having no references?

I'm 19, female and going for my first job as a trainee dental assistant. My first worry is what to wear, because It's not a business environment or just in a shop but in health care. So I'm not sure whether to have sort of casual business attire (whatever that is), or what! Secondly, I have no references. No previous job, and I've been out of studying for a few years so no former teachers either. I can't give my family as a reference. How do I go around this? I would really love this job, and just want to have a really good interview!
--------------------
You definitely want to be dressed as professionally as possible - even if you are more formally dressed than your interviewer. Black dress pants & a nice blouse with demure jewelry and professional shoes would be best. Even though you'd be dressed quite differently once you have the job, you'll want to demonstrate that you're taking it seriously. As for references, you really need to try your best to come up with some. It's quite possible the interviewer won't ask for them, but you need to have them available in case he/she does. What have you been doing since you left school? If you are volunteering somewhere or are a member of an organization or even a sports club, someone there can be your reference. Don't discount your teachers, either - they'll probably be happy to help you out, even if it's been awhile.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment