Sunday, May 22, 2011

Questions about sheath cleaning?

I know that every gelding/stallion is different but how often in general do you clean your gelding/stallions sheath? This is my first gelding that I've had to take care of on my own, my other gelding was when I was a kid so my parents handled all that stuff. I know how to do it (I regularly clean breeding stallions before they breed or are collected) I just don't know how often. My boy has a little bit of dead skin on his penis (he likes to drop when he's relaxed so I can check him) but nothing major. I've seen a gelding who was really nasty and cleaned him before too and my boy doesn't look anything like that. Should I just go ahead and do it to get the dead skin off? Another question. I always hear people saying it's bad if you clean them too much. But what about breeding stallions who are cleaned before every breeding/collection? I mean before breeding/collecting you only use warm water and no soap (because it's spermicidal) so is that why it's ok? And do your really need to use any soap for a gelding just for a routine cleaning? Just wondering. Thanks (Suggested category Health -> Dental. Nice)
--------------------
I usually do my boys every 6 months typically. Once in the spring and once in the fall. And like PonyGirl said i also hose the sheath when i hose them off, i mean im already hosing them and they do get sweaty there. I use Excaliber because it is alot gentler on them and I know people who use just generic lubrication like KY jelly but when they extend outside to pee any dirt that flies up will just stick to KY jelly and other lubes. Excaliber is good for keeping it clean on the inside of the sheath and also when they drop. I dont think you doing it like every 3 months or something would hurt him especially if he has excessive dead skin or other 'smegma' up there. If youve done it before then you should be fine, but always be careful you could be cleaning, he spooks and you break an arm or something. Good Luck(: EDIT: So some chick by the name of :thbluv came here and took this anwser and answered someone elses question with it. Super Duper. its always fun to have people who cant come up with their own answers isnt it?
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment