Thursday, May 26, 2011

What can I do about my TMJ?

At least, I think it's TMJ. It has gotten worse lately. I think I may be stressed (my husband is deploying to Iraq.. so that stress isn't going to go away anytime soon..) But in the last week or so I've really noticed my jaw has been popping alot.. only when I open my mouth wider than an inch.. like, when I'm eating or kissing, or yawning... my husband even noticed it when we were kissing the other day.. and it was weird. I think its gross, but he could care less (luckily) I just want to know if there's anything I can do that doesn't involve going to the dentist.. I have a really crappy dental plan and I'll have to pay 70 percent out of pocket... and I just don't want to shell out crazy money for this. So no dentist related answers, please. I do know that I toss around in my sleep, I'm pretty much restless and I'm pretty sure I click my teeth.. sometimes grind them.. I've been told. Again, stress I think.. Its more annoying than anything else.. any easy fixes or advice?
--------------------
I would recommend a nightguard. It's a piece of plastic like a tray that you wear on your teeth at night to help stop the grinding. If you get one at the dentist they are very expensive and most insurances do not pay for them. Go to your local drug store to the toothpaste aisle and get one for 10-20 dollars. They are not as good but will do the job for now. Also, if you chew gum, STOP now. It will only make things worse. There is no way to fix the TMJ problem now that it is there, you just have to prevent it from getting worse.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment