I just read some statistics that said 48% of black women have never been married and 25% of white women have never been married and so on......They make it seem like we are just a group of lonely women taking up precious space. Its like the pressure is not there for men. I am 23 years old, about to be 24 in march. I am in dental school and yes, i have dated alot of guys, but none of which i would want to spend my life with. Should i be forced to settle for someone who has his own set of problems, not saying i am perfect. I mean society makes marriage out to be this glorious thing, but why is there so many divorces, cheating spouses, unhappily married women. I dont understand it! Why would you want something so badly that in the end has a great chance of making you trapped in a misery pit of doom. Divorce rates are over 50% , then take into account the number of unhappily married people who stay in marriages because they are afraid to be alone. Why is it assumed that if a WOMAn is single something has to be wrong with her. You don't see assuming something is wrong with the men who are single. And why does society try to make women feel bad about being single? especially black women by throwing statistics in our faces??? I am not saying marriage is all bad, but seriously finding your soul mate and being happy through the majority of the marriage is very very rare these days. Most people settle into unhappy marriages just to avoid being alone. Some people have open marriages where they allow or know their spouse is cheating , and don't care as long as he comes home. its like women and men are settling ( for whats not always that best for them) I am sorry I'd rather be single than be in an unhappy marriage, crying myself to sleep because my husband isn't coming home when he suppose to.
--------------------
I don't understand why a statistic makes you feel bad. If you read a statistic that said that 22% of people prefer to buy blue cars, would you be saying, "They make it seem like we are just a group of blue car lovers taking up precious space."? A stat is just a stat. It is not a judgment. I don't think the stat made you feel bad - I think you already feel bad about not being married. You should seriously try being less hard on yourself, though, Britney!
Source
No comments:
Post a Comment