Monday, May 17, 2010

PMAD - Pre-Med Associated Depression

Yes, I'm writing about it. Generally PMAD doesn't kick in until about October (when one of the following things may happen), but I thought I'd write about it a little early... just for pre-emptive purposes.

1) You've had an "oh shit" moment in (insert ridiculously difficult pre-med class here). Probably you failed the mid-term, you are totally behind, or you have no idea what the fuck is going on. You then start awfulizing and realizing that you really only have about 8 chances (your pre-med class grades) to really prove yourself though your GPA. The fact that you are barely passing (or outright failing) Physics and Gen Chem are not good for your overall pre-med momentum. Now you have to work extra hard to pass the classes. And extra hard in your remaining 6 classes to make up for your less than stellar grades. Uh.

2) You may be already in the application process. By October you haven't gotten any interviews, and you no longer can deny that you aren't getting in this year. A cascade of "what the hell am I going to do with my life", "I'm a loser", "I'm going to law school", "I can't think of ANYTHING else I want to do with my life", "F&%$#@G MCAT!!", "My parents are going to kill me", "What am I going to tell everyone????", and a few more rounds of "I'm a loser" all ensue. And repeat.

3) You got your late results back from a summer MCAT, they suck, and now you have to stand around scratching your ass until January to retake. Another year of your life down the drain.

Don't worry. This happens to all of us. It's part of the med school game. Bad news? It doesn't really stop after you get into med school. Good news? In med school you'll NEVER have to do a freakin' physics or o-chem problem EVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment