Friday, October 15, 2010

3 Types Of Med Students

I wrote a guest post for Dr. D a few months back describing 3 types of med students and what the "right" reasons are for going to med school. I wanted to repost it here... bc I think it's super relevant to applying to medical school.

So before we get into what the "right reasons" are, let me clarify a couple of things. Medical school is difficult. It takes tons of time. It's stressful. It is a huge commitment. It's competitive. It is also a million other wonderful things. Everyone in medical school has essentially the same base experience.... four years of school plus residency, essentially the same course load, the same time schedule, the same amount of financial aid available for monthly living expenses, etc. Yet, you will hear every different opinion from students about their medical school experience... ranging from "it was the worst time in my life" to "this is easy cake" to "this is so much fun". In my opinion, one of the MAJOR factors that contributes to the differences in student's experiences in medical school is the vast array of reasons why they are there.

Now when I spoke before about the "right" reasons... I guess I should clarify... as who am I to say what the "right" reasons are... But let me describe a pattern I have noticed among medical student. I think there are three main groups of student attitudes about medical school. I'll describe them here.

The happiest students (those who have a balanced perspective, who do well academically, who have reasonable amounts of stress and anxiety, and those who generally "love" medical school) are those who are enjoying the journey. Meaning, they actually love medicine, love the material they are studying, love the lifestyle of continued learning and a high-paced academic environment. Of course, many have other interests and families, but to them medical school is not an obstacle in the way of those things. Med school is an awesome part of their life. Personally, I'm a second year medical student, and I love reading my huge Robbins pathology book with a cup of coffee in the early morning. I love going to lecture and participating in clinical problem solving. I feel a rush everytime I am in the hospital, I talk to my patients for too long, and my brain is always coming up with ideas for projects and research. I look forward to residency and my future career, but I am in no way miserable in school. I certainly think I fall in this category. I absolutely could NOT imagine being anything other than a physician... it took me so much work to get here that I am actually in academic bliss all the time. I know this sounds weird and a bit (ok a lot) over the top... but I know a lot of other people like this. If you ask them about medical school, they will describe it just like I have.

The second group of people are those that like medicine just fine, and it came about as a reasonable choice. They worked hard in undergrad... and are all around strong academic students. To them, medicine is more of "a good field to be in" for them instead of "the most amazing and only possible career on the planet". They are smart kids, but probably had interest in other careers as well... they could have been attorneys or engineers or business entrepreneurs or stock brokers and would have been just as happy. They are happy in medical school not because it is their #1 all time passion... but because they are very strong scholars willing to put in the work in order to be in a field like medicine. They do well academically, but are a bit blase about medicine... often eager to get home, eager to skip extra discussion about a disease or patient, and tend to be a bit disinterested and or frustrated with the rigamarole that comes with medicine. This doesn't make them less of a physician, but they do not enjoy the ride of med school as much as the above group. They are "putting up" with med school... and willing to wait to get out so they can have a family, a paycheck and a steady schedule.

The third group are the miserablites, of which there are two categories. These are the students that don't come to class because they hate medical school. They are barely hanging on by a thread academically, they are socially and academically absent, and they are caught up in the idea that that are in the wrong spot. They've figured out that medicine is a lifestyle that doesn't end after medical school... and they just come to the hard realization that the "misery" of studying, testing, stress and academic/hospital nonsense will be a theme in their lives forever. The first category of miserablites ended up in medical school because of outside pressures. Either from family or society or from within themselves, they felt pressure to do something "worthwhile", to make a choice, any choice,... and medicine seemed like it would be the answer. Their heart wasn't in it... but they either didn't have another readily identifiable passion, or they felt their other passion didn't hold enough weight. A lot of people in this category really wanted to just focus on another less traditional passion, or on family, having kids, being a parent, but got pressured into having a career first... and they are miserable because their heart isn't into med school.

The second category of miserablites came to medical school for the money or the lifestyle, and quickly figured out that those reasons are not sufficient to motivate you through the insanity of medical school. There are a million ways to be rich, that don't involve 8+ years, intense academic work, and a quarter of a million dollars in student loans. And they also figured out (news flash) that being a doctor doesn't make you rich... perhaps a bit too late. Sure you can make a life where you are comfortable financially... but 90% of doctors are not free of financial obligations. Student loans, malpractice insurance, etc. make the life less than glamorous. And frankly, though you can and will make a solid income more than the average American, the goal of being "rich" doesn't seem all that worth it two weeks before Step I when you are sleep deprived, amped up on caffeine, cramming, freaking out, and wishing you'd gotten an MBA or become a real estate agent. The miserablites are those who, as you say regard medical school as "sucking all life out of me, leaving me absolutely passionless, tired and with no ambitions". I can tell you I have NEVER even one day felt this way about medical school.

So, in essence, I think everyone applying to med school has a lot of thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment