I do horse rescue when I can and am on a bunch of email lists but damn if emails like this one do not just make me nuts. Now I am going to have a sleepless night because I cannot take in this pony - I have just taken in a few others and she is going to be expensive and I can't afford it right now. Who the f&*^ abandons the pony they have had for 30 years??? Sorry just venting but this pisses me off. "We are located in Ohio, but got contacted by someone in Chicago to help rescue a 35 year old Shetland Pony Mare named Jessie. She is not current on shots and we are told she has some dental issues, too. We are unsure the condition of her hooves. She was found tied up to a tree outside with just some type of shed for shelter. She has lived with her current owner for almost 30 years and she finds herself unable to care for Jessie anymore" Anyone want one of my now fat and sassy rescues who need work so I can take this mare in?
--------------------
This mare should be euthanized at 35 years old. I don't want to sound cold, but a 35 year old neglected mare should be the one to move aside for a younger animal with a future. Every dollar spent on a horse this old is taking away from a younger horse that could have a future if there is room at the rescue shelter to save him or her. When I give monetary donations to horse shelters, I hope they are using judgement and spending that money intelligently, and not spending it to save 35 year old horses that should be euthanized, which may be depriving younger horses of a chance to live to even achieve that age. The small cost of euthanasia compared to the cost of maintaining a 35 year old rescue horse/pony is significant. There are only so many we can afford to keep alive, and if the rescue people aren't making sensible decisions, then those who provide the funds may ultimately quit providing them. In my opinion, this horse should be euthanized. EDIT.....I do agree that it would be nice for her to have some good time during her remaining life. But I look at the stress of removing her from the home she has known for 30 years, and putting her on a trailer to haul her to the rescue facility where she will have to adapt, and then go through whatever rehabilitation process is required, as opposed to humane euthanasia on the property where she is located, and euthanasia seems more right to me. If she were 25, I would probably see it differently, but at 35 I don't see the point of putting her through all that.
Source
No comments:
Post a Comment