A lot of people ask questions about their dogs being sick on here. Sometimes, the only answer is : You NEED to go to a vet. But that's not always the case. I've seen people berate the asker for not immediately jumping up and going to the vet and I don't think that's fair. Sometimes people cannot afford it. Myself as an example: When I brought my two dogs home from the shelter I was in much better financial shape. Things happen. Times are rough. My dogs now eat better than I do, but I cannot afford to go to the vet for every mild symptom my dog has. I couldn't afford my own Annual Dental Exam this year, but both my dogs got their Annual exam (Even though going to the Rabies Clinic would have been cheaper). Anyway, back on topic: If I had a mild injury, I likely would not go to the hospital. I'd tend it at home. The same is true of my dogs. If I have an upset stomach I don't go to the ER. If my dog has an upset stomach, I do not drop everything and rush to the vet. I may give them a quick call if I think it's unusual. Otherwise, I keep an eye on the symtoms, make sure my dog is drinking and hold off on the food for a little while. When my dog had a hot spot in front of his tail from a bug bite, I was told to go to the vet. Ridiculous. I clipped the area, kept it clean, and watched it heal on its own within a few days. Can you imagine going to your doctor because a bug bite that you scratched tore open and bled a little bit? So my question is, at what point is something vet worthy for you guys and what sorts of things do you take care of yourself?
--------------------
As a veterinary technician I have to say, you are right, not every little thing needs to be rushed to the vet. It just takes common sense. An office call to the vet is a lot less expensive than a trip to the pet emergency. If your pet has a rectal temp 103.5 or higher, it has a fever and should see the DR. If your pet has been vomiting / diarrhea for 24 hours or longer, they need to see a DR. If they have had a seizure, coughing, wheezing, and or sneezing, they need to see a DR. If they have been hit by a car or have any significant injury they NEED to see a DR ASAP!!!!! (don't get on the computer and ask for advise, while your pet is going into shock) My only concern is that there are a lot of people on here that are giving bad advice that can hurt or kill someones beloved pet. (just my 2 cents worth) ALSO...IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO VACCINATE YOUR PET THAN IT IS TO PAY FOR PARVO TREATMENT!!!!!!!
Source
No comments:
Post a Comment