Sunday, May 15, 2011

Living in Australia as an Asian?

Hi I'm leaving to Australia next year, and I will be attending a dental program at University of Sydney. I googled australia and I found so many articles about Aussie people hating Asians. And there are so many stories that Australian students shun Asian roommates in school. Is it true that white people in Australia just don't want Asians?? I have lived half of my life in Vancouver, and I've had no racism experience. So I have no idea how to deal with it when I get there...I just don't understand why there is so much hatred there. Please tell me EXACTLY what it's like to be living there as an Asian because I really care about my safety.
--------------------
People mistake our humour as racism. 80% of the rude things Australians say, they don't mean. It's just our way of joking around. It may seem terrible to non-Australians, and I can understand that, but you need to know they aren't being serious with you. My best friend, Leah, is Asian, and I treat her as I would to any other friend (nicely). My other best friend is South-African. I, personally, along with many other Aussie folks, would never kid around when it comes to people's race because I know how touchy they can be about it. You see the world going, "Oh, yeah. Australia's all desert, never rains. They ride kangaroos to school and feed them Vegemite." When you really think about it, stereotypes are a form of discrimination. Eg. All blondes are dumb. All lesbians have made a sex tape. All Christians hate gay people. All Australians are racist, never serious, crude and usually drunk. But the majority of Australians thrive off their stereotypes, and enjoy laying it on thick with the accents and slang, and confirm all the nonsense about Kangaroos jumping freely down the road and Koalas being cuddly. [Damn! Koalas are feisty little terrors! Can do you some surgery-worth damage, too!] They do that because it's what they find amusing. It's just what they think is funny. Asians are smart, hard-working, intelligent people, and I'm glad we are able to share our country with them. Majority of Aussies agree with me. Who ever wrote those articles were clearly insane.. You have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. It's the odd ******** racist that ruins our reputation. Don't believe everything you hear.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment