Wednesday, May 18, 2011

really confused about childcare returning to school....please help?

I want to go back to school to become a licensed dental assistant and as of right now I could go for free seeing as that I don't have a job and financially my husband and I aren't doing so well with just his income. He is going back to college next week to work on his BA in business. I have an associates degree in medical assisting that gets me no where. I want to stay at home with my daughter but while I can get a free education I would like to take it. The problem is childcare. I don't even know what to do. It would break my heart to leave her with anyone other than family and my mother is going to be going to nursing school. Should I ask my mother in law to stay the 21 weeks it would take to take care of our daughter? Im just so confused. If you qualify for financial aid does it cover childcare? I don't want to leave my baby not even for a minute but if something were to happen to my husband I would need employable skills 2. Thanks so much!!!! ANy input is appreciated!!!!!
--------------------
I know exactly how you feel. First of all, if you can go back to school for free- DO IT! And tell me how you did it! lol. I was so close to finishing my BA when we got pregnant with Chloe. I thought I could do school and pregnancy, but I was so incredibly sick with her I had to drop out :( So trust me-if you can get your education (especially for free) I would definitely, definitely do it! I also know how the idea of childcare is disgusting. My husband and I are not financially stable enough for me to stay at home with Chloe aside from 6-8 weeks, and it breaks my heart. I actually make more money than my hubby does :( And we don't have any family or friends in the state, so we must do childcare. Typically with financial aid it does not cover childcare specifically, although if you get loans you can use that money for living expenses while you're in school-so technically, yes, it could cover childcare. There's a great website called care.com where there are nannies and babysitters listed and background checks and profiles. You could check that out. I know it's hard, but you're right-this economy is tough, and if something happened to hubby, you will need those skills. While it sucks to leave Mia with someone else think of it this way-it's better for Mia to have a good home, food, and happy parents than it is for her to stay with mom all day if the family is struggling financially. Money problems are one of the biggest stressors for couples, and so that's what I tell myself. I'd rather pay for Chloe to be in childcare than fight with my husband over expenses, and cut down everything to the bare minimum and struggle. And I know it's too much stress/pressure for my hubby. Good luck with everything, I'm sure it will be fine!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment