Sunday, May 22, 2011

what would cause a nerve in a molar to die? dentists only please!!!! ?

Had a dental appointment to have 1 tooth repaired. It was easily fixed with no drilling. The rest of my teeth had no cavities as I take very good care of my teeth by brushing for 2 full minutes after meals, flossing, Act mouthwash. One problem is that a back upper molar that never hurt broke half way up. Xrays were taken last visit and the dentist told me that the nerve had died in that tooth. He was very busy and so I didn't ask him for an explanation.What would cause that? I take vitamins and calcium and have a very good diet that includes drinking milk daily. I am not on any prescription meds. Also, what is the best mouthwash or rinse to use and what about all those fancy battery powered toothbrushes that claim to prevent plaque....true or false as I'm about to buy one. Thanks
--------------------
Nerves of teeth can die for many reasons. The most common is a deep cavity extends into the nerve. The least common being idiopathic or no real, or verifiable cause. A molar tooth should not break on its own unless it already had a filling in it or your teeth are inherently weak which I don't think they are or you would have others breaking. The only way to know for sure if the nerve is dead is to do vitality testing on the tooth by placing something really cold on it or using an electric pulp tester which your dentist should have. Dead teeth that become invaded by bacteria can end up needing root canals so try and take care of this tooth asap. Keep using ACT because fluoride is a good preventative of cavities and helps keep enamel strong. I think electric toothbrushes are great and that is all I ever use. I would go with a rechargeable one like the Braun/Oral B triumph or Sonicare Flex care. They are kind of expensive 95-140 dollars depending on where you get them and are worth every penny. Battery powered ones are OK and if you're not sure whether you want to take a chance spending 100 bucks on a toothbrush, I would try one of them first.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment