Wednesday, November 4, 2009

First Time Being a Rockstar

Yesterday I went to visit my preceptor, the bariatric surgeon. One of his patients was having what they thought were complications from a procedure... so he sent her over to the ER. She had a gastric bypass 10 years ago... then a resectioning about 6 months ago. She started having complications so they put in a stent and a drain on the mid-axillary line. But that was a couple months ago. Today, the patient's chief complaint was that she was having increasing pain on inspiration, and the docs were thinking that possibly the stent slipped... or maybe she had an infection where the drain was.

When we visited the patient, the drain seemed to be ok. No obvious signs of infection, no pus, no fluid accumulation. Also the Chest Xray showed the stent was in place. So the doc was basically planning on waiting for the lab results and CT scan to come in.

So then my preceptor says to me "Do you have any questions you'd like to ask, doctor?" (LOVE it, by the way, when I get called doctor)

Which I did. So I asked the patient if she was having simply pain on inspiration... or if she was also having trouble catching her breath. She thought about it and said both. Which started recently. I suggested that she might have pneumonia. To which the doc said... "Maybe"

Before I left the doc said to call tomorrow for the results. I called today and he'd left me a message. I was right. Pneumonia. YAY!!!!! Well... yay for me not her.

No comments:

Post a Comment