Monday, November 30, 2009

No Way

Who'da thunk it? I'm becoming VERY interested in genetics. But that's not the weird part. Pediatric genetics. In case you think I've mis-typed, I'll say it again. PEDIATRIC Genetics. Genetics class has been over for 2 weeks and I'm still coming home and watching documentaries on Tay Sachs and Gaucher's. I see the kiddos with Progeria and I love them with every ounce of my heart. I want to kiss the rocker-bottom feet of kids with Trisomy 18. I think what I'm feeling is overwhelming. I dream about them at night. But I am especially in love with the Progeria kids. That part isn't new. I remember seeing a show as a child about children with Progeria, and I was fascinated. Now I just want to help their heart conditions and keep them pain free and help them to avoid respiratory infection.

The bad part is that I cry. A lot. I don't know how to overcome this particular obstacle. My boyfriend thinks I am too sensitive to be a peds geneticist. His attitude is basically "Holy shit woman, you're crazy enough with no reason to cry.... I can't handle you working in a place where there really is reason to burst into tears all day long." Fair enough. But I still love it. The things I don't love about it? Most genetic diseases aren't treatable. It's like "Yup, you've got disease X, sucks for you". Also, about 100% of genetics work is in the clinic or the lab. Two things I'm not totally hip on. No procedures, no surgery, nada. Unless you combine pediatric genetics with something like critical care... but sheesh... that's a whole lotta years of residency. Yikes.

Well, we'll see. I'm just thrilled that something has grabbed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment