Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sympathetic Crying

I'm a sympathetic crier. And a sympathetic vomiter. And a sympathic sleeper (I can't STAND seeing someone cozy sleeping while I have to study. I instantly fall asleep). But today I'm talking about crying. Because I think I've just recently discovered that I am WAYYYY too sensitive. Not in a "she said something mean about me" kind of way. Rather, I let myself get emotionally wrapped up in my patients. Or any patients. I have the syndrome. Thinking that what's happening to my patients is actually happening to me.

For instance, in genetics class we have patient presentations. Patients with genetic diseases come with their parents to discuss their experience with the disease process. I'm practically in tears the whole time. And once the parent starts crying I really lose it. Today a mom started crying when she discussed finding out that two of her children had the same genetic disease. She started, then I started. Not full on snot and tears, but enough to where I feel the hard lump in my throat, my eyes get watery and my nose a little flushed.

And recently a prominent physician at my school was murdered. I didn't know him AT ALL beyond simply seeing him in the hospital. But I lost SLEEP over this, folks. And we all know how precious sleep is these days.

I guess I'm just wondering if this gets better?

No comments:

Post a Comment