Sunday, November 1, 2009

Well since we're on the subject....

I put my DO vs. MD link on the side, had a few comments, and others are posting about it again. Here's Ella's version of the straight dope.

Moment of truth: If I had to do this again. I would have gone to DO school.

GASP!

Not because I don't love my school or my program. I love where I'm at. But I could have gone to DO school years ago. I could have been a doctor by now, half way done with residency. I didn't do it out of pride. Pretty much pride only. Because I wanted to be an MD, and because I didn't want to "defend" my education to others. Which is a pretty BS reason to waste years of your life.

Additionally, I think I would have had a different peer group. More alternative routes to med school, more diverse backgrounds, and more older students. Which is something I do feel that I miss out on here.

I really don't think the education is any different. And while there is undeniable residual stigma associated with osteopathic schools... I think it's lessening. All the time I hear MDs say how cool the DO physical manipulation is. And how so-n-so is a DO and is amazingly good. And I promise... very soon osteopathic schools will have the exact same academic criteria for admission. Some of the best osteo schools are already there (like the Texas program). Others are building their reputations.

Consider it. Or don't... and spend however many extra years of your life stressing about how you can POSSIBLY become an MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment