Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stool Fat Analysis, Right?

Today my mentor/friend Dr. J gave a physiology lecture on the pancreas. We've worked together for years... and although we currently aren't working together officially, we're both part of the med school and we have lunch or dinner once in a while.

So Dr. J is one of those guys who needs a lot of feedback during lectures. Like nods and "uh hums"... just so he feels everyone is on the same page. Problem is, since I'm the only one in class he knows well, he keeps looking to me. So like a giant gunner asshole, I'm nodding and "uh hum-ing" every few minutes. No sweat, worth the sacrifice. I'm a good friend.

Then he starts talking about pancreatic function tests. Specifically stool fat analysis. So when he says "stool fat analysis" he points to me (in front of 180 of my classmates) and says "Right?".

Now, because I know how his little brain works, I know that he was referencing a huge study where we assessed pancreatic function. This study was a massive pain in the ass and the bane of my existence for over a year. I almost killed him because he wanted me to collect stool fat. In the end we compromised and I agreed to do the study, but I got to hire someone else to do the stool collecting/processing.

But he doesn't actually say something to the effect of "Ella worked on a pancreatic study in our dept. that involved these tests". No. Nothing. Just points to me after he says stool fat. Sweet. Now my classmates think I have a personal problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment