Friday, January 22, 2010

Things That Suck in Med School

1. 600+ emails per day, all recruiting for trips, clinics, conferences, retreats, volunteer projects, parties, political movements, etc. which all sound oh-so-nice... but I don't even have time to read the freakin' email let alone actually participate. That, and I have to sort through these 600 daily emails to make sure I read the important shit... Like at 10:24 pm two nights ago I received an email informing us of a mandatory 8:30 am class and a reading assignment for the morning. Nice.

2. Endless Facebook updates from my 180 classmates verifying the 100 biochem concepts that I, indeed, have not yet studied, looked at, nor have even heard of.

3. A little class we have called Foundations in Medicine (FIM). In theory, this class should be great. Teaching future docs about ethics, death and dying, nutrition, alternative medicine, exposing them to the community, volunteering, etc. In reality, it is the biggest bane of my existence and the hugest time-waster ever. This class has hundreds of "points" you have to get in order to pass. Yet you don't get them the normal way... like 30 points for an exam. You earn your points POINT BY POINT. For instance, attending a lecture might be 1/3 of ONE POINT. An essay might be 2 points. Going on an ambulance ride is 1 point. Attending an intubation simulation is 1 point. OH GOD oh god. I'm FIM's bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment