Sunday, July 26, 2009

Five Days Left of Freedom

Today is Sunday and orientation starts on Friday. Looking at the first year schedule, a little nervousness is replacing my excitement. Or maybe it's just nervous excitement.

Anyway, I consider myself incredibly lucky to be at the school I'm at. Somehow, they've received the "progressive" memo and have made conditions highly bearable for medical students. For example, they have restricted the number of hours per day that students spend in lecture... this based on recent studies that students don't absorb and retain material after a certain number of hours in class. How novel. I mean, did it really take a scientific study to prove that students become zombies after 27 hours of lecture? Anyway, I'm happy... because while all my friends are in class from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm every day, I really only have to be there 9:00 am to noon, then 1:00 to 3:00. Some days less, some days more. My school has also implemented a pass/fail system so there is less pressure to compete for grades. Sweet. Not to mention... here's the best part... they stream all the lectures so you can watch them later at your convenience..which makes all classes O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L!!!! Who ever heard of med school where attendance isn't mandatory??? Yay!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment