Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Block Exams Start TOMORROW!

And at the severe risk of having my pride handed to me on a platter, I would like to venture to say that I am feeling ok. I went to the review session for anatomy and embryo (which is tomorrow) and I felt that I knew 95% or more of what the professor discussed. Not true, however for biochem. I've really been putting that on the back burner... hopefully that doesn't kick me in the ass come Tuesday. I do have three full uninterrupted days for studying biochem after this anatomy nonsense is over... so hopefully I can whip into shape before then. Since I'm not a master memorizer, anatomy has been really hard for me... and I've literally put probably 100 hours or more into just this one class. Thankfully biochem seems to be more conceptual (and I have some chem background)... so hopefully I can make this work.

Thus far I've studied every day after class (and weekends too of course) for between 2-7 hours. Some days I am a rockstar and can study and study, somedays I can barely stay awake. My dissector (the clean one) actually has drool marks where I've fallen asleep on top of it. Most days I get at least 4 hours of studying.. just taking 2 days off for trial and 1 for being sick. I don't know if everyone studies as much as I do... maybe they study more... who knows?... but I am one of those unfortunate people who has the discipline to physically sit down and study... but I have a hard time absorbing what I read. Additionally my mind wanders every 2 seconds and I have to make myself concentrate. Yes, I know that's called ADD, and yes, I have it (we can save this for another conversation).

Anyway, I haven't been studying in groups for 2 reasons. 1) In the past, I have had difficulty finding people on my study wavelength. Everyone is either totally unprepared and I am wasting my time... or they are totally over-my-head gunners and it stresses me out. And 2) I am exhausted after a day of class or whatever.. and I need to come home for a nap before I start studying. Plus I like studying at home in my underwear (is that too much info?), drinking good coffee, cuddled up on the couch with my dog Luke laying near.

Well, we'll see next week if my methods are adequate. I might be re-reading this and thinking what a moron I was to study only 4 hours a day at home without a study group.

No comments:

Post a Comment