Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Top 40 of the Last 10 Years

I decided to make a list of the things I would have missed out on if I'd started medical school at 21. Wow, the last 10 years have been busy!

1. Was a paid-on-call firefighter
2. Graduated from college with my BA in Political Science
3. Was an RA, Vice President of my university, and a sorority girl
4. Studied Italian in Italy for several months, traveled all of Italy
5. Was an ecology research assistant
6. Had 4 long term relationships... and a bunch of not-so-long-term ones
7. Moved to Boston, lived in a beautiful brownstone, attended Harvard for PBPM
8. Became a high school chemistry, biology, and sex education teacher
9. Traveled around Brazil, camped on the Amazon River, discovered Rio de Janeiro
10. Helped 21 of my illegal-immigrant students get into college with full scholarships
11. Got my EMT certification
12. Conducted clinical research study at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston
13. Lived in Phoenix (downtown), Miami (MiMo), New Orleans, Boston (South End), Washington DC and San Diego
14. Won a scholarship for infectious epidemiology from the CDC to train in Charlotte
15. Bought my first house, gutted it, and am rebuilding it from my own design.
16. Conducted clinical research for the Department of GI and Cardiology
17. Invited by a prestigious research group in Colombia to work on p. vivax vaccine candidate (I went by myself.... with little ability to speak Spanish!)... and I traveled around Colombia
18. Got my Masters degree in tropical medicine
19. Got to be an extra in a movie with Brad Pitt
20. Was an ID Epidemiologist for the state
21. Watched every episode of Sex and the City like 10 times
22. Adopted the best dog in the world
23. Got into med school!
24. Met my wonderful boyfriend
25. Taught General Chemistry I, II to undergrads
26. Was an HIV/STD safe sex educator for elementary & college students, residential bootcamps, drug rehab, etc.
27. Worked in behavioral neuropsychology researching the effect of the estrous cycle on neuron morphology
28. Learned to speak conversational Spanish
29. Taught over 150 children and 2 adults to swim
30. Evacuated 2 Hurricanes... and actually escaped 1
31. Road trip across the United States 4 times
32. Taught English in Tijuana migrant worker camps
33. Designed my own study to assess tumor cell response to combination treatments for pancreatic cancer
34. Was present (team right leg!) for the birth of one of my favorite student's first baby
35. Advised the 12th grade physics class "solar tech" club... we built a full size (2+ people!) solar powered boat to race in the "Solar Spectacular" competition
36. Was featured in an article in the San Diego Union Tribune for "interior design" advice from amateur, alternative, designers.
37. Built a great circle of friends and advisors who I love.
38. Completed an internship in Washington DC on politics and the media
39. Went skydiving (Ok, this may have been 11 years ago)
40. Canoed up the Colorado River to Black Canyon Hot Springs.

Ok... that's all I can think of right now. But you should make your own list. It makes you feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment