Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is this Necessary?

Since Block I is over, we get new lab professors for anatomy. Same cadaver, same student group, but the professors rotate so the students get to experience different teaching styles. All the anatomy professors at my school are retired surgeons... so they know a lot. My first professor, Dr. Ross, was awesome. She was pretty chill, but actually helped us and I felt like I learned a lot. So I was sad to see her move elsewhere.

When I saw that my new professor was Dr. Kovec, I was totally stoked. I really liked his lectures in anatomy class, and he seemed so sweet up there. He has an adorable accent from Croatia, and when I googled him I figured out that he is also a famous novelist.

Too bad he turned out to be not as wonderful as I anticipated. I was shocked and disappointed. Here's a quick run-down of how lab went. (Let me preface this with the fact that the day before we'd finished our first set of block exams, and the class had a huge celebratory party the night before. Many people didn't show up to class, and our lab had a few people missing.)

1. He took attendance (which has never been done before) by going through our photos and calling our names. Ok, fine. Four students from our lab (out of 30) didn't show up. So he proceeded to lecture US about how we need to take responsibility for our education, and show up, yada yada. Let me say, I have NEVER understood the logic behind lecturing the people that SHOW UP to class about that. Granted, I get that he may be frustrated... the logic on that is less than sound. Whatever... Minor annoyance #1

2. He called a girl's name Genevieve something or other... but she nicely said "Yes I'm here, but I actually go by Natalie." Whatever, that's her preference for whatever reason. Her looked her straight in the eye, paused, and said "Ok, GENEVIEVE". Then he proceeded to call her Genevieve for the rest of class. Major annoyance #1 (but not directly to me... so I didn't think much of it.)

3. He didn't bother to give us a pre-lab lecture... which to my knowledge every other instructor does. And extensively. Minor annoyance #2.

4. Since I wasn't one of the students who went out the night before, I actually did the reading ... unlike my group who showed up partially hungover and not terribly excited about an early am anatomy lab. It really didn't bother me, because for once I finally felt like I was the person who knew what the heck was going on... and usually my group is pretty on top of things. So I was at my tank, possibly looking perplexed while reading a portion of the dissector, when my professor approached ME and asked if I had a question. Well, I kind of did... but didn't have it formulated in my mind at that precise moment... so I mumbled something to the effect of "I'm just not clear if this part of the dissection should accompany today's dissection or tomorrow's. It was listed with today's material... but it fits with tomorrow." To which he responded "Well, you haven't read the material"... and he walked away. Major annoyance #3... because I WAS the ONLY one who read the material.

5. After finishing the dissection on my cadaver, I walked to a neighboring cadaver and asked if I could feel their cadaver's lung to see the difference. I gave a quick poke and was satisfied. My professor, however looking over my shoulder... exclaimed "What was that? You can't determine anything with 2 fingers. Are you going to get serious about this or what?!" At that point I decided that the whole scenario was ridiculous... and figured maybe I'd salvage the situation by making a joke. I grabbed the cadavers lung and palpated it unmercifully... then turned to him and asked with a smile if that was better. He huffed and walked away. I then looked at the group (who was looking rather perplexed), and mentioned to them that I thought the anatomy of their cadaver was cool. Our cadaver had a very tiny thorax and a lot of embalming fluid in the lungs... so it was difficult to see all the structures that they had. FROM ACROSS THE ROOM, the professor looked at me and yelled "Those are just EXCUSES!!!" Ridiculous event #1

Omigod, give me strength to finish this block with him!

Update:
I'm officially retracting my rantings about Dr. Kovec. I think I misinterpreted his personality... or maybe we just got off on the wrong foot that first day. But I'm actually liking him now. He does seem genuinely interested in us, and I am getting used to his quirky persona. In fact, today he saw me, patted me on the shoulder and actually seemed pleased to see me. Hmm.... miracles can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment