Monday, September 27, 2010

Early bedtimes...and clinical

Normally I'm the girl whose always doing something (working, eating, studying, schooling, researching etc etc) but today I did NOTHING...I feel like the birth of my blog is to blame for this a bit. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day! So I just finished my research for clinical tomorrow and am off to bed. Yes, at 8:15pm. Nursing is great but the early mornings make me want to stab myself with a pencil. Tomorrow I shall wake at 5:15am and be at the hospital at 6:45. Bright and early.
What is clinical you ask? Clinical is the portion of my education where I am in a hospital for 6-8 hours working alongside RNs, LPNs, RCAs and actually putting the skills I have learned to use. Before you go to clinical lots of research about your patients condition and medications is required as I am still a first year student. Joy. Clinical is the one part of the program I love and fear at the same time. I become extremely anxious before every clinical shift because for 8 hours someones life is sort of in my hands! Yikes! Granted, I don't have the scope of practice to be doing EVERYTHING for that patient, I am still allowed to administer medications, change IV tubing, do dressing changes, VITAL SIGNS (I'm an expert at this...my fellow nursing students know why ;) ). I always think, what if an emergency happens and I don't know what to do? PRESSURE! But, thats what nursing is about. Thinking on your feet. I feel like I have that ability but don't have the knowledge yet to apply it in the hospital setting...I can't wait for semester 3 where we learn more interesting things like starting IVs and doing injections and whatnot.......Do I sound nerdy enough yet? Thought so, alright well I'm off to bed! See you guys tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment