Monday, September 27, 2010

How it began...and then some.

I feel like I should answer the question how and why did I decided to pursue a career in nursing. When I graduated high school I started post secondary with the intention of obtaining my BBA and then heading off to law school and becoming one bad ass lawyer. Oh yeaaaaa. But one year into my BBA I realized that this really wasn't for me. So I stopped my degree. My mother was horrified and convinced that I was going to be a failure. I smiled and started working in retail while I attempted to figure out what I was going to do with my life. That's a hard thing to do at 18 years old. I had some friends who were in the nursing program at the time and after talking to them one day I happened to pick up one of their textbooks and became OBSESSED with medicine. I started reading up on it in my free time...sad isn't it? Anyways my love for medicine blossomed and I found myself applying to schools to become a registered nurse and only saw rejection and wait list letters for 2 years. It was very depressing. I live in a city where the number of students wanting to be nurses heavily outweighs the number of seats available so you either get wait listed or rejected and are asked to apply again. The average wait to get into a nursing school here is 1-2 years. It took me 2 years to get it. While I waited to get in I worked full time and finished electives and other random courses. FINALLY in January 2010 I began! I am now at the end of my first year in something called a CPE (Consolidated Practical Experience) I have school for 6 weeks and then I get the rest of the fall/winter off! It's amazing. I'm 3 weeks in and already wishing that I could sleep in everyday. Yuck!  My ultimate dream job would be to go to med school and become an emergency room physician but I feel like I'll be wasting my life away in school if I do that.

What kind of nurse do I want to be? Right now I'd love to work in the ER or in Maternity. But who knows what I will decide when I finish my 4 years...aaahhh sometimes I wish life had a fast forward button. 

No comments:

Post a Comment