Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Can We Discuss This??

There is a phenomenon among highly educated women that I have noticed over and over... and I don't really understand it. I have discussed it with a few people... so I know it's not all in my imagination. I have seen it among my friends, colleagues, classmates, and even in my own life on occasion. Of course these are going to be broad generalizations.... but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed it.

That is that highly educated women are often in relationships with men who aren't. Often I've seen women with MD/PhD's/JD's etc. in relationships with men who have never stepped foot into a University... for anything. Not to say that there is anything wrong with this. But I find it interesting.

I've also noticed that highly educated men are usually paired with women who have at least some form of higher education. In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of one male physician I know whose wife or girlfriend didn't at least finish college (whether she USES her degree is something else entirely). But tons of female physicians/attorneys/etc. are invested with men who are firefighters, mechanics, paramedics, enlisted military, etc.

Is there some explanation for this? Is it related to dominance, intimidation, what? Or do these women just think firefighters and mechanics are manly and sexy (fair enough!). I have no clue.

In my own experience I can say that I have (in my past life) dated many men who fit into this category. Firefighters, police officers, computer techs, etc. And while I always started the relationship not caring a hoot about their level of education, it inevitably became an issue between us. Either because we didn't have enough in common, or because of a mutual lack of respect for the other's opinion.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you guys think. It's interesting to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment