Monday, April 5, 2010

Is it Just Me Or....

Ok check this out. I know this girl who is a 4th year med student (not at my school). She's a nice girl but definitely on the weird side. Weird as in she looks a little disheveled most of the time, and has kind of an odd personality. But nice enough. So she wanted to match into anesthesiology... but despite a handful of interviews she didn't match anywhere, and now she's desperately trying to secure a family medicine or peds spot somewhere.

Now here's the kicker. She has Tourette Syndrome. Not super severe, but significantly more than mild. With motor and phonic tics. Now maybe I'm crazy, but isn't it completely possible that she didn't get a spot because of that? I mean, an LP and a motor tick are not friends, folks. So the question is, shouldn't her academic dean or advisor (somewhere along the way) have mentioned this to her... instead of letting her totally sink on match day?

Or am I being a complete insensitive bigot? I don't mean to be. But seriously... a blind guy can't be a fighter pilot. What's the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment