Thursday, April 29, 2010

Say What?

Today we had an SP session (standardized patient) for neuro cases. Our SP was a little out there. Actually a lot out there. Like a 45+ year old woman in a belly shirt in a med school. Ok, whatever. When my turn came around, I was the only one who had to do the full run down... like the H&P, plus the neurological exam, etc. We can "time-in" to the scenario and "time-out" to get help or ask a question whenever we like. Which I did... since it was a specific case and not just a simple full CN exam.

At the end she is supposed to give us feedback. Like, "good job" or "you suck" etc. But she got all touchy feely on me.

HER: "So how did that feel for you?"

ME: "Fine thanks"

HER: "But how did you FEEL?"

ME: "Um fine. Normal. It was easy."

HER: "It's ok to admit you were nervous. This was your first time"

ME: "Well this wasn't my first time doing this, and I really didn't feel nervous"

HER: "Well, I FELT your nervousness"

ME(outloud): Sigh. and oops... I rolled my eyes.

ME: (silently):You're irritating. And showing 9 inches of your stomach is not cool past the age of 11. Put a shirt on.

Now, I may be a lot of things. Probably too talkative, lacking prefrontal cortex impulse control, ADD, too excitable, over confidant, no sense of my own limitations, loud, etc. But folks, NERVOUS is something I'm not. Unless I'm actually doing a life or death procedure on a real patient. Or if I'm around Mr. Stupidly Gorgeous. And he's in Boston or Italy or somewhere equally exotic.

ME! NERVOUS! Hmmph!

No comments:

Post a Comment