Thursday, August 6, 2009

Panic, Anxiety, Stress, Nausea, Holy crap... what did I get myself into??

Ok, it's the end of day 2 of classes and I cannot believe what I have got myself into. Studying hard. Will write more later as soon as I have time... but I wanted you all to know that I haven't forgotten about you. This week has been nuts to say the least.... for the following reasons:

1. I feel really old, and my class is young. Previous years the average age at my school was 25, this year it is 23. Even the anatomy professor stood up and said the class looked like high school students. Guess that's a compliment for me? Anyway, I think normally I am a very social person... but I really haven't felt like getting to know anyone yet. I'm feeling massive uneasiness, and a general all around sense of anxiety... not to mention lonely and a bit of an outsider (which I'm not used to!)

2. NOBODY explains anything in med school. They give a partial lecture for a class, with no accompanying reading or anything. You don't have a set booklist... just a bookstore that carries 20 embryology books, 30 anatomy books, 15 biochem books, etc. You are supposed to go through the books and see which ones YOU like... then buy a selection of books so you can learn the topics the class requires... which is very ambiguous and very nerve-wracking. There is no clear plan to prepare for anything. Overall I'm very confused.

To say the least I am panicking. What the hell have I done? Am I crazy? Did I make a HUGE mistake? All these years??? The material seems cool, the professors are good, I like the clinical correlations.... but I am so confused and over my head. Ok, will post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment