Monday, August 3, 2009

A Wonderful, Wonderful Day!


So today was the day! My White Coat Ceremony. My family came into town and we made a weekend out of it. Yesterday I took a bus tour around the city to see six different community health clinics and centers that we will be working at... then I met my family (and everyone else's family) at the city park for a beautiful summer BBQ. The food was great, and I got to introduce my family to the Deans as well as to southern pulled pork sandwiches.

Then today we met up extra early for breakfast (I actually succeeded in not spilling coffee all over my outfit)... then headed over to the Hilton for the ceremony.

It was nice overall, but the Dean unexpectedly asked us to say one word that describes what brought us to this university to study medicine. Everybody was kinda freaked out, because the people ahead kept taking all the words. There are a lot of words in the english dictionary, but today I swear there were only about 80. Everyone ahead of me took my ideas... Adventure, Humanity, Exploration, so when it got to my turn I settled on Discovery. What other words did I hear? Caffeine, Luck, Stick-to-it-ive-ness, Bribes (?), and of course, Mom. I also got my white coat, which despite actually going in to try the sizes I somehow got stuck with a Medium (which I ordered) which I KNOW was actually an XXL (which I DID NOT order), and I was swimming in it. However, along with my white coat, I got an unexpected fabulous present. A Littman Stethescope... everyone got one as a surprise from the alumni association. Can you say A-W-E-S-O-M-E????? I was so excited during the ceremony that I could barely keep from bursting into tears of excitement.

Then after we went to lunch, and had so much fun. They still have 25 cent martinis... and needless to say we got a little silly with my parents and ate massive amounts of bread pudding.

White coat ceremony.... can't be beat!


No comments:

Post a Comment