Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oh... so phe-nom-enal!!!

So I've seen patients in the past. Fake patients faking it. Fake patients with real scenarios. Observed real patients. But today, TODAY I had my OWN REAL PATIENTS.... with real diseases!!! It was awesome.

I work at a free community clinic started by medical students from my school several years ago. Essentially there are tons of medical students and 1 or 2 attendings supervising everything. First year medical students take on the role of 3rd years, and 3rd year medical school students take on the role of the resident. We work up the patient and present it to the attending... who just happened to be Dr. Kenton-Hadley. She's basically my idol (except for Carrie Bradshaw and Carla Bruni of course)... and I want to be her. Am I obsessed? Definitely. I don't think she's acutely aware of my obsession... unless she noticed that I was hyperventilating while I presented my cases to her. More on Dr. Kenton-Hadley later.

I had two patients today. One had gout. The other was not happy about what she suspected to be a possible pregnancy. She was pregnant. And I told her. (well sort of... through a translator bc she didn't speak English). All in all, it was awesome.

Not going to lie though, paperwork sucks. Guess I better get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment