Saturday, October 10, 2009

Things That Happen in Elevators

My post the other day about the lady I met in the elevator got me thinking... I've had some interesting things happen in elevators at the med school over recent years...

1. While studying for the MCAT I was in the elevator of the med student building holding a Kaplan book... and probably looking rather haggard, sleep deprived and discouraged. A med student looked at me and started lamenting about how horrible the MCAT was... and how he wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy. He was like "Good, luck (dripping with sarcasm)... that's the worst thing I've EVER had to do. I would rather DIE than have to do that again. Seriously, just scoop out my eyes with a spoon instead of making me do just ONE MCAT passage...etc. etc. etc.". Needless to say, he didn't make me feel much better.

2. I was walking back from the mailroom of my apartment in the med school housing, and I'd just received my rejection letter from my first attempt applying to the med school where I am now attending. I was barely holding it together when I got into the elevator with a preppy, good looking guy in a suit with a name-tag... obviously an interviewee. He was staring at me for a few seconds with a big smile... then very friendly asked if I was a med student here. Whoops! Wrong question, wrong girl, wrong time! I burst into tears, said "No. And apparently I'm not going to be! So you should be very grateful that you have interviews... cause not everybody does...!"... waving my rejection letter. He looked so surprised and stammered... "Uh... I'm sorry?". I jumped off the elevator at the next floor and ran to my room. Poor guy. He didn't know what estrogen-saturated can of worms he opened with that innocent question. Hopefully he didn't end up here...

3. Last week in the parking garage I was late to class and running to catch an elevator that was closing before I could get in. A young doctor must have noticed my facial expression of despair, because he blocked the door to wait for me. Once I was in he said "See, I risked my hands for you. Wasn't that nice of me?" to which I said "I guess you're not a surgeon, then.". He looked confused and asked why... and I said "Isn't there some joke about surgeons sticking their heads between elevator doors... cause they can spare their brains but not their hands?". To which he replied "Well, I am a surgeon, and I've never heard that". Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment