Monday, May 30, 2011

White tongue problem?? Need re-ask this question, but with more info. Please Help!!?

Please read this description carefully: I have white tongue. it didn't occur overnight. It started as white on the back of the tongue. Three months later its covering my whole tongue. I can scrape off the top layer, but there is another white layer EMBEDDED onto the tongue that won't come off. I had a biopsy done and they saud I don't have an immune deficiency. Meaning, no oral thrush as the culprit. The oral surgeon gave me an anti-fungal/steroid/antihistamine mouthwash that did not work. He also gave me an antibacterial mouthwash later that did not work. I tried brushing my tongue with salt, vegetable glycerin, tongue scraping, hydrogen peroxide rinse, Therabreath. Rinsing with salt water. These work only a tiny bit, then the white comes back. It's getting worse day by day. The white is getting harder to remove and whiter. I don't see how it can't be oral thrush. But why didn't the anti-fungal/steroid/antihistamine mouthwash work???? What could this be? Is this incurable? Did my tongue TURN white as opposed to just having a WHITE COATING, where the nice pink tongue is underneath the white layer? Could it just be plaque, excess sulphur, or bacteria. If so, how do I get this junk off my tongue. it's driving me insane. One more thing. Even though I have white tongue, I do not have bad breath, which is what people have with white tongue. But I licked my wrist and smelled and I took a spoon a scraped the **** off from the back of my throat and smelled the dental floss after use and NO bad breath. What is this. Oral surgeon, said there is nothing else he can do. He didn't seem like he really cared anyway. I can't give up.
--------------------
No worry - what you describe sounds like your tongue isn't doing a very good job of shedding dead surface cells. You didn't mention if your have a dry mouth, a medical condition, or are taking medication. These could make it worse. Try to drink more water, chew sugar free gum, and use your toothbrush or tongue scraper to help keep it from building up. Added after your additional info: I doubt it is Candida (also known as yeast or thrush) since nothing came up in the biopsy and you have tried the oral meds for fungus. This is what may be happening: You are overdoing it on the brushing, scraping and treating of your tongue. The white tongue may be a response to all of this - just like a scab or callous turns white after being in water; the same thing may be going on here. I say this because the more you do, the worse it gets. Try leaving it alone (I know, it will make you crazy) for 10 days and see if it subsides. You might ask your oral surgeon or the pathologist that did your biopsy if you had a heavy build up of surface cells too.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment