Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Switching careers...how do I fix my resume?

I am trying to get a career in childcare (daycare, nanny, etc) I have tons of experience caring for children as a babysitter (8 years) and I have been a nanny during the summer. I am also a cheerleading, tumbling, and dance coach for ages 6 months and up. But not all of my jobs have included working with children. I have worked for 2 banks and a dental office, within the last 4 years. How should I put this on my resume? I would like to put all of my childcare experience, but when I add the other jobs I had, my resume is more than 2 pages long! What should I do?
--------------------
You want to take all of your skills and match them with what the employer needs. Don't make a list (like you did in your post) of what you can do; instead, write your skills, talents, and abilities and transfer them to the job you want. So take the skills you learned at the bank and dental office and think of how they transfer to child care? Working with a diverse population? Team work? What about flexibility in hours, days, etc. Attendance? Think about the skills, not the job titles. Also, if you can quantify your experience, it shouts out. For example, 8 years of customer service is ok, but read, "99.8% customer satisfaction rating in working with a diverse population." Now that says something about you. Hope this helps. Keep your resume to 1 page. Make it easy to read.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment