Monday, May 23, 2011

Can a dentist see decay from an x-ray?

I went to the dentist today and got 3 fillings. One of the teeth was so badly damaged, that in the end she told me I'd either need some $3500 procedure, or to have it extracted. I opted for the extraction since I am having my wisdom teeth out in a week anyway.. But shouldn't she have seen from the many x-rays that she took that the tooth was too badly damaged? Why did she bother filling it (which cost me over $200 in the end, for that 1 tooth) instead of just telling me at the beginning that it would need to be taken care of in a different way? Having the tooth extracted will be another $300, and I'm already over the limit on my dental insurance. I am a struggling college student and I can not at all afford these fees! Why should I have to pay $200 for a useless procedure?! I posted this last night and got no responses, so I'm sorry if this is your second time reading it.
--------------------
yes, decay can be seen from an x-ray. but it is just a diagnostic aid. actually looking inside the tooth for confirmation is another thing. what she (dentist) probably meant was that the filling she had done had a high risk of failure so much so that you might need root canal therapy and a cap to fix it. does she recommend having it extracted already or is it to be under observation? if she wants it taken out asap then you have a legit question.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment