Sunday, May 29, 2011

Can I get into Duke, UPenn, Washington University in St.Louis, etc.?

I'm a rising senior with a 3.86 gpa in the International Baccaleuareate program. I am an Arab-American (don't know if that's a minority). I got a 30 on my ACT, was very disappointed, and am shooting for a 34. By senior year I would have taken 8 AP classes and around 10-12 IB's, every other class I took was honors. I founded the Stock Market Club at my school and am currently the president. I'm an executive officer in the French Honor Society (We only have an executive board, not a president, vp, etc.) and I am in the national Honor Society. I also am a varsity tennis player that has lettered on the varsity team all 4 years and a team captain. This past year, we won the district championship in one of the toughest districts in the state of Florida (I was the district runner-up for my spot), we're the regional runner-ups (we barely lost to the 2 time defending state champs) and we won the county academic award. I am interested in a career in dentistry and took many interships this summer. I interned the largest dental corporation in the southeast, an international dental lab, and I worked at a dental factory in China with the other Chinese workers on my own for 3 weeks. I have also volunteered at 2 hospitals (making good reputations and relations at both) and an animal clinic. I am a diligent, responsible, and mature young man who really cares about his education, I have good relations with my teachers, and I would appreciate any feedback.
--------------------
I honestly don't know too much about the other two schools, but I know a bit about Duke. For an IB student, your GPA is very solid (assuming that it's unweighted, of course). You are technically a minority, so that is a plus for you. Your disappointment with a 30 on the ACT suggests that you are driven, which is awesome. But a 34 would be perfect for Duke (that's actually my score). Really, I think your extracurriculars will get you in- you have great leadership in both academic and athletic areas, which is a major plus. You have great community service it looks like as well. Just work on the ACT score, get good teacher recs, and write deep, heartfelt essays and you really shouldn't have any problems getting in. Best of luck dude!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment