Sunday, May 15, 2011

It will work out if you don't give up....

Lately I've been getting a lot of "panicky" emails from pre-meds. If I haven't written you back, please don't be offended... I've just been inundated with "help me!" emails as of late. And I figured I'd kind of throw my answer out for everyone to read.

So the panicky emails go something like these...

- Help! I took pre-med class X in the spring of last year but didn't pass it so I need to take it again. The question is should I take the MCAT before or after I retake the class? Because if I wait, then it might be too late to apply this year... yada yada yada....

or

-What should I do?????? I haven't heard back from any schools, should I contact the Dean? Or should I not bother them? Because I know you are supposed to assert yourself but I don't want to be annoying...

or

I got into 2 med schools and I don't know which one to go to. One is near my parents house and I can live at home for free... but the other school is way more prestigious and six times the price....

Sigh. If I could go back in time... say oh, 10 years, and tell my young semi-pre-med self just ONE thing.... it would be that NONE of this matters. Seriously. It doesn't matter if you make a phone call or send an email. It doesn't matter if you take the MCAT in April or September or even 2 years from now. It doesn't matter which school you choose.

All that matters is that you

1) try your best to make reasonable decisions that minimize your stress level and are conducive to you being happy and an overall ethical person

2) don't give up.

Really. I swear. That's it. Things will work out the way they are supposed to, when they are supposed to. And it won't be because Thank GOD you took physics before O-chem, or because you wrote a thank-you note on paper instead of sending a thank-you email. That stuff doesn't matter at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment