Sunday, May 15, 2011

What is sleep dentistry?

I saw this in an add for a dental surgeon. I went there for an appointment but l forgot to ask them. I was hoping someone could tell me what it is? Also, when l went for the appointment, they found 3 holes in my teeth that need fillings. l am deathly afraid of dentists like you wouldn't believe. And l am soooooo scared of needles it's not funny. I passed out getting a TB test done once so l can even think about getting one in my gums! Even now, l am feeling like l'm going to be sick, just writting about it! l know these holes need fixing really soon, and one o them is getting quite bad. But l am just so scared, l can't even explain it. l was wondering if they would give me general anaesthetic to get the proceedures done? l know it's really extreme just for a couple of fillings, but that's how scared l am. l don't care what it costs, as long as l'm knocked out for the whole thing! So yeah, those are my 2 questions. What is sleep dentistry? And will they knock me out for the procedures?
--------------------
some do offer a general anesthesia, but what your dentist probably offers is a form of conscious sedation, which isn't being completely asleep, you can still breathe on your own and still respond to verbal commands. unfortunately you can also still feel pain so they will still need to use a local. i wouldn't be too afraid of the needles either, your dentist will hose down the area with novocaine to numb your gums before injecting the novocaine.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment