Thursday, May 26, 2011

can i be fired for having scabies in nc?

yesterday i woke up with a rash. so did my daughter. i called my employer (a dentist) and told her i needed to be seen by my physician because it obviously is contagious. my doctor diagnosed me with scabies and gave me a prescription for some ointment and shampoo. she told me i would need to stay out one more day but would be safe to return to work and work on patients the following day. i called my employer (the dentist) and told her what i had and that i would have to miss one more day, and that i had a work excuse note from my doctor to return the day after that. my employer said she didn't care what my doctor said, that she she did not feel comfortable with me returning that soon. she said that i couldn't return until she said so, but she felt at least three weeks. she said she would call me when i could return. we hung up and i felt it was on good terms. less that five minutes later she called me back. she said since she wasn't going to let me return for a minimum on three weeks, she couldn't do without the help, and said she was going to fire me, so that she could look for another employee. (she could have hired a temporary dental assistant from many of the local temp agencies instead of completely getting rid of me.) I also should add that i had received my final written warning for being out for the death of my mother, the death of my father in law and the bank foreclosed on my home which i lost. all of this has happened to me in the last six months, and now this. when she told me i would have to stay at home for the next three weeks, i asked her if i could file for partial unemployment since my doctor had cleared me to return to work, and basically it was her rule that i had to stay out. she laughed at me and said "go ahead if you think you can get it !" someone please help me!! I need to know if i have a legal avenue to pursue here, in north carolina sincerely "scratching my head "
--------------------
your boss is not a medical doctor by any means, while returning the next day does seem a bit short to me, the workers union will not permit this and you need to talk to them because they will stop this from happening in an instant.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment