Saturday, May 21, 2011

How many chicken wings should I give a 12lb chihuahua daily on the barf diet?

I am thinking about starting this diet for my little guy because he has terrible breath and I think he is developing gingivitis, I have heard it can do wonderful things for dental health as well as overall health. We just got him from my hubby's sister because she didn't take very good care of him and didn't want to be bothered anymore, oh well too bad for her yea for me I love him!! But I am having a little trouble finding the amounts you are supposed to feed, everything conflicts argh!! So if anybody with a little BARF experience could help I would really appreciate it. thanks!!
--------------------
Good grief, stupid must have been on sale tonite, cuz you sure got a ton of it from some folks here. Seriously....here are some great sites for raw feeders. I feed raw myself to all my babies and they do wonderfully on it, even the vets are jealous!!!!! http://www.mypetcarnivore.com/rawfeeding… Also www.rawfeeding.com I have bunches more, but it is really super storming here tonite and my pc is freezing up....email me I will send them to you later! You should also check into rawfeeding and rawchat groups on yahoogroups. Also, wings alone, are not enough meat...you can give wings, they are great tooth brushers, but you need more meat. I feed raw, and not barf, based on the fact that dogs are carnivores, NOT omnivores and therefore dont need fruits and veggies, but, its at least a far sight better than crap in a bag kibble! :-) Stick with chicken at first...the goal is to feed variety. But you need to work up to variety over a time...let your dog set the pace. Feed chicken for a week.....see how things go. Then add in pork, or turkey, or duck, or whatever....the first week or even month, stick to chicken wings, legquarters, split breats, etc until you know how he will react....give him time to adjust to the good stuff....Do not "transistion" from kibble to raw, just ditch the kibble and start feeding the good stuff. Feed about 2% or 3% of his IDEAL adult body weight, not what he does weigh, but what he should. This will melt the weight right off him and also keep him where he needs to be. You may find, once you get the weight off him, you need to increase his %, since with toys, we have a higher metabolism than with larger dogs and usually end up feeding a higher %. I have a 7 pound Crested who needs to eat more than a 12 pound Crested, becuz he just "runs hot" lol hes always busy and always chasing bugs, or shadows or whatever and he just burns it up faster....so each will be different and you will need to do alot of research and know your dog. Please feel free to email me with questions and lemme know how it goes. Im always happy to talk dog with other raw feeders! Hope this helps,
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment