Saturday, May 21, 2011

Advice for stray sickly male cat...or just read and respond. I love feedback?

ok...I work for an animal shelter but this shelter doesn't really care for the strays and dumps that keep showing up behind our shelter. They just let them stay out there and never try to do anything about them.They feed them but thats it. I on the other hand do try to help. I have over the past few years taken home personally about 5 of them and placed them into homes after vetting them fully (testing, shots, spays and neuters, flea treatment, etc). I have one I took home in March who is about 10 or 11 in age, I have already invested almost 400 dollars into him (lots of dental work was needed, rotten teeth). He is now doing so much better but I am sure I will never place him. He was on the brink of death when I found him. Currently I have taken home one of the pregnant strays who was hanging around for months and would never let me near her. She would eat the food provided but thats it.Well she had her baby's outside last week in the back of a pickup truck with lots of scrap metal in it. I got all of them and even the mama too. Turns out she is a very nice girl. So now I have her and her 6 fat healthy baby's. They are only about a week and a half old. I will foster her till her babies are weaned and then I will let the shelter place them into homes when all of them are ready. There are many cats out there who rely on the food the shelter provides for them. One in particular I want to take home. I feel so bad for this guy. He has been out there for about 7 months or so. He is kinda bad looking. Half his tail is missing. He looks kinda mangy. He has HORRIBLE diarrhea...it just drops from his butt like liquid. His back end is very nasty looking and his anus is very inflamed. He has become quite friendly with me over the last few weeks. He rubs against my legs and wants to be petted. His demeanor has changed from very shy to almost overly friendly. I am going to be taking him home Thursday night and taking him to my vet on Friday expecting of course a huge bill lol. I did vaccinate, frontline, worm (for roundworms), and gave him an injection of Cestoved (treatment for tapeworms). Just to get the preliminary's out the way. This poor guy deserves a chance I think. I hope to god he is Negative for Felv/FIV. I have many cats of my own and 2 dogs as well so I am running literally Noahs Ark in my home lol. I know to keep him isolated untill he is healthier. He seems rather friendly with the other stray cats out there. I just want some advice or just a response to this tale of whoa. As for other shelters in my local area...thats out of the question. All they do is deny help and or say they will euthanize them. My shelter is of no help. If it doesn't involve them making a profit...they want nothing to do with it. This is the truth, hard to believe i know but its no lie. I worry about many of these kitty's out there for the winter time is approaching and its gets very cold. I cant see all of them making it through the winter. Some are very skinny. I say currently there are about 7 or 8 strays who come around for food every day. I'm sure there are more I don't see, but about 7 or 8 regulars. This is truly sad. There is also a mama kitty who gave birth last weekend but something happened and I found all of her babies dead outside. I am not sure if a raccoon killed them or not. Some were bleeding and kinda chewed up looking. I have to try and catch her soon b4 she is indeed prego again. Sigh.... will it ever end? (screams No!)
--------------------
Hi there... volunteering for any rescue/shelter can be quite disheartening to say the least, however I can empathize with what you have been through. It's peculiar that your shelter doesn't provide assistance for these feral cats or contact a feral cat coalition to step in and help. There are plenty of these of organizations for feral cats throughout the world especially many in the USA/Canada. Perhaps you could searched for one of these to help you with the cats. As for helping the cats survive through the winter, consider searching through online classifieds pet section such as Craigslist http://www.craigslist.org for pet igloos or pet carriers to use as shelter for the cats. You could also post an ad yourself asking people for housing, bedding donations to help these cats. Sometimes media can bring attention to the plight of the cats well-being and through this more help may be offered as well.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment